Singapore Management University

Singapore Management University Employee Reviews

At this time being I have no additional comments to contribute as my working nature with the company is contract-based and it has been great overall, plus I am awarded a project with good challenge.
new joined and was assigned with many tasks. they said there are more task and project yet to assign to me. i had been working daily till 12-1am even i shocked the security guard when taking the lift when he is patrolling his routine check. I have sleepless night and spoke to the management or the HR team, nothing was help to improve my work load. Decided to leave because i was later diagnose with mental anxiety disorder. Think twice before joining, if you lucky you may have a stable job if your task is leverage.
We were given focus on our project to produce deep analytical meaningful work. Relatively better paid and well managed compared to other universities and research centres. However like any research centre in Singapore, there are no job prospect and no career progression.
Was here to cover for a maternity staff and overall it is a workplace with work life balance. Learn many things during my stay here and gain knowledge of how the operation works.
Each department is very lean in manpower and you need to know everything in order to perform well. People do not help each other as they are afraid that you might over shine them.
Lots of room of improvement for Salary, and Compensation and Benefits, for administrative staff especially. Not much fair career advancement or promotional opportunities.
A well diverse environment combined with talented/smart people Fun place work environment A very challenging environment while rewarding benefits.....
A workplace with some worklife balance and it's always convenient to attend courses to upgrade ourselves. Depending on your boss, if they encourage lifelong learning, you can attend courses and catch up with work within the given deadlines.
Pros
Free workshops
Cons
Politics can be toxic even in the least expected offices, especially those with high attrition rates.
As an inexperienced employee, the environment here was really conducive and helpful in building up work experience for me. My colleagues were supportive, keen on giving advice and helping me out and my boss was also very open to hearing my thoughts and opinions and made me feel valued and secure in my growing abilities.
Pros
Supportive colleagues, inclusive environment
Cons
Limited career advancement and areas for skill set development
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Singapore Management University?
Work was not hectic and team mates and manager were supportive and always encouraged. Had a great time working on projects and work culture was great.
Obtained a diversity of knowledge and skills from my work in SMU. My biggest take from SMU was helping to coordinate the Singapore Health Economics Association Conference 2014, the biggest Economics conference at the time.
A typical day with SMU is fun and engaging. I learned a lot during my time working with SMU. The culture is great and the most enjoyable part of the job would be the awesome colleagues that I get to work with.
Vice president Guest Relations /Tokens and Rewards for the Masters in Management Business Consulting Club. The consulting club works into giving a chance to the students to meet and interact with top officials of the business industry. It also facilitates students to get new management learning opportunities like case writing and new management training activities.
Good research and development experience. Got good experience in Android OS architecture , Android Security, Adding new features to Android OS, Android application development, Android Application modelling , Java application development , static and dynamic analysis on android apps , working in Linux and MAC environment.
Singapore Management university is a great environment to work in as they have a great work life balance. The department i worked in is positive and encouraging.
Pros
flexible working hours
It was great experience working with faculty from local to worldwide, get to learn from different culture. Different departments adopt different work culture, and enjoyable to work in. Working in the school can be stressful but the team support and management is appreciative.
Pros
Flexi-hours arrangement
You get to help a professor with his research and learn a lot along the way. It's a good job to have if you can manage to bag it. Additional benefits include your professor's recommendation when you graduate and look for a full time job.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
sometimes repetitive
Singapore Management University is a great place to work fort that it has the greatest faculty and resources on campus. You can build a wide network with those industry professionals.
The job scope was not too taxing especially when you are studying. It enables you to assist in a research you are passionate about and help professors carry out experiments.
Was given an opportunity to gain new skills by having a 6 months intern at SMU in doing very basic stuffs. Such as creating an orientation program for a pioneer batch etc. Was new to this industry thus, it was quite tough for me to absorb everything at the start. But the workers there were very helpful in guiding me along the 6 months.
Pros
Free transport and lunch
Cons
Long irregular hours
SMU operates like a private company, with a relatively flat hierarchy (on paper). It offers a good learning ground for fresh graduates.
Pros
Staff Benefit
Cons
Private Corporate Culture