Singapore Prison Service

Singapore Prison Service Employee Reviews

Singapore13 reviews
Need a very good stamina, patience, people-oriented and good listener.
Friendly but yet assertive. Ready to react. Build good rapport with the people your work with and also the inmates so your work will be a pleasant one.
我能够在这公司工作了38年,可想而知我对公司和自己的职位都很满意。管理层也很公平的对待每位员工。福利待遇不错。如果有机会,我们远是会出择回长这公司工作。可惜的是我巳经68岁了,没有这机会了。
The colleagues in Singapore Prison Service are a great bunch of people to work with. Leaders have vision and the work is meaningful, especially in the area of rehabilitation of offenders. Development opportunities are ample. Area of improvement however could be to provide more lateral development opportunities for staff.
Had an opportunity to intern here, was very interesting and had many different things to work on as well as experience. Overall, a good place to work at.
It is always a challenge where taking care of Human Being is concerned.
To understand , empathise , relate, are only some of the attributes that one needs to fully function as a custodial pofficer
You get to be inspired to work hard to bring insight to others. The managers may have little to no experience. The appraisal system is gruelling. The report writing is tedious.
The years I spent in SPS were the most colourful ones in my career path. As I started a year after graduation from Polytechnic, I was able to carve my career most immediately.

I was fortunate to be blessed with supportive superiors who guided me along the way. It was there that I built on my personality, my confidence, my mental resilience.
Stable with fair career advancement opportunities. Decent work life balance. Staff are well rewarded monetary wise and also receive with bonus welfare privileges.
Good environment with alot of benefits. It was a pleasant place. I've learned so much working in prison on discipline, work as a team and also how to appriciate life.
Pros
Meal provided
Cons
Shift
A typical day at work is never predictable. Learn to be firm and fair at all times which include flexibility and humanity all the times.

Supportive management who always help men on the ground. and reliable colleagues who will never turn their backs on you when needed.

The hardest part of the job is to maintain the harmony of the people under your charge because everyone has their differences.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to realize the value of freedom.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Confine environment
A typical day at work sees me attending to customer feedback, interacting with them, working with various stakeholders to understand and resolve the feedback. I also engage staff in learning and discussion platforms. My job also saw me pursuing projects to improve the service infrastructure, processes and service competencies of staff.
Stable job prospect.
Mundane daily task.

Restrictive workplace curbs innovation.
Pros
Stable job prospect.
Cons
Restrictive workplace curbs innovation.
A series of daily routine work like issuing of meals, unlocking the inmates for their recreational times, medical attention etc.

Apart from that, staff would need to conduct routine searches, drills and classes for the inmates.

Conducting training for staff during overlapping hours.

There is a need for a strong bonding within staff in order to get things done.

The hardest or toughest part of this job is dealing with people. Understanding that every individuals are different and working with them is not easy. The staff working in this line must understand and be ready at all times as there will always be a certain level of risk when dealing with inmates.

The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet different type of people with different characters and backgrounds.

Pros
Stability of the job
Cons
High stress level