Skyscanner

Skyscanner Management reviews

Clear

Creative workplace where people are allowed to grow

There really isn't such a thing as a typical workday at Skyscanner, which is what makes it such a great place to work. Very collaborative environment.

Pros

Creative coworkers, flexible workdays, ability to work remote, fully covered healthcare, generous bonuses

Cons

Sometimes management is slow to respond to requests, work/life balance can be lacking at certain times

OKR is everything

All the PM/PO cares about is OKR set by their senior directors. Even the OKR sometimes is lacking the proof of data provided, no one has any question about the OKR, and all they do is obey the order from the higher level. Two CEOs resigned within 1 year, each CEO has a ridiculous OKR, and all the team will follow that.ConsMess management, always using old or non-main-stream tech, is slow to react both in business changes and technology changes. Bad work-life balance in China office after they transferred too many Ctrip employees. No stock, no bonus. Principal engineers lacking a basic sense of how to build a distributed system. The infrastructure team still using the nearly retried open-source framework to build real-life services. Data-driven is BS here no one knows how to do data analysis, they only know about using old experience to measure the current cases.

Pros

Internal IT service desk working good

Cons

Mess management, always using old or non-main-stream tech, slow to react both in business changes and technology changes, using the nearly retried open-source framework to build real-life services, Data-driven is BS here, OKR is everything

Toxic culture, shambolic organisation and high churn

During the two years I worked for Skyscanner, there was:A full company restructure which left many freelancers completely in the dark and without work for months A time I was given notice my job was being given to somebody else, two weeks before Christmas - despite having had no inkling this was even on the cards and multiple reassurances my position was safe. I was then asked to train the person they'd hired in basic skills needed to do my job!Multiple changes of management.Often weeks spent waiting for a reply to emails. No clear guides or onboarding for new starts. Frequently training sessions freelancers were not paid for.Long periods with no work.A general clique-y atmosphere where your face had to fit.Work given to other freelancers yet not to myself (and others).Months of no work and no updates on the situation once covid hit.Sporadic work once things got back up and running.Frequent promises of extra work/large projects which never materialised.Blame culture where incompetent managers shifted blame onto freelancers when really it was them that were incapable.Working here as a freelancer was STRESSFUL. Tasks often arrived without briefs. Or briefs were wrong or confusing. Expectations were constantly changing, as was what we were expected to produce. There seemed to be little loyalty to staff, with zero opportunities for progression. Extra work and projects were frequently offered but failed to materialise. I was treated particularly poorly during my time here and finally kicked the role to the kerb in favour of working with one of Skyscanner's competitors. -

Pros

Paid on time - and a couple of the managers we had who left were brilliant.

Cons

Cliquey, toxic culture, no loyalty to staff, poor communication, unrealistic expectations, disorganisation, frequent churn of managers

Inept managers, and no staff loyalty

Working as a freelancer with Skyscanner gives you the opportunity to be a part of the team while maintaining a freelance lifestyle. So you'd think. In reality, the management team is a very tight-knit bunch who are averse to change. Having said that, most people I worked with were very nice. But there are a few middle managers who are not only grossly incompetent, making mistakes then expecting freelancers to take the blame for and fix them, but also rude and not fit to take on the role of manager. How these people got jobs still amazes me. If your face or attitude doesn't fit, or if you try to question the way things are done - heaven forbid you may have an idea to improve a current system or policy - this is instantly dismissed. If you're unlucky, you will be too. Skyscanner are a huge company with the mindset of a startup. They don't have policies and procedures in place. There's no 'Skyscanner way'. Yet when staff members try to suggest a productive way to do something, they're met with negativity. Because of this lack of consistency, mistakes are often made - leading to serious consequences that affect the brand's reputation and the company as a whole. Nobody takes responsibility for this, There is little to no guidance for freelancers starting out with the company and no onboarding at all (unless you count a manual to read through). This means the only way to figure out what's going on is to ask questions, lots of questions. Management don't like this and some managers in particular either take over a week to respond or don't respond at all to requests for help -

Massive staff churn

Skyscanner used to be an engagement-focused company where staff were treated in a fair and tolerant way. Since recently it's become a task-focused company where managers are not at all bothered about promoting a positive working environment for all. I've heard of various former colleagues where managers create an intimidating, hostile, degrading, aggressive or belittling environment for them. Middle managers are engaged in box ticking. Senior managers are obsessed with data but incapable of interpreting it meaningfully.

Pros

Good salary - some nice colleagues left.

Cons

Terrible middle management - new joiners are careerists elbowing their way up

Past its glorious day

too much hierarchy and a lot of blockers that prevent you from doing your job in the best possible way but also block other teams that depend on your work – chaotic environment incompetent senior managers having no clue what to do I had panic attacks due to my horrible line manager.

Pros

Nice events, good work life balance, great offices

Cons

horrible management inexperienced micromanaging, politics

modern, start-up company appealing to the new generation

It provides an independent work place along the lines of what one hears from Yahoo and Google. It is a different level of expectations than a traditional company in corporate america. This new companies offer perks such as free food and drinks, a casual dress code and an experimental work style. While working used to be planning before now it is try and error and make it better next time. This is good for people that aim for the best and can work without supervision or "tribes" that are closely managed. The CEO and COO are awesome and I can only speak highly about my successor.

Pros

free style

Cons

some politics are not easy to read

Culture doesn't make up for shortcomings in management

Some really good people working in the Miami office. Management is Scotland-centric and unwilling to adapt to US culture. Sales people are thrown into unconventional situations with marketing responsibilities, but opinions are not valued. If you don't agree with every decision - despite direction to input and question everything - you'll find yourself out of a job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Skyscanner. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Skyscanner