United Overseas Bank

United Overseas Bank Salary & Benefits reviews

Singapore193 reviews
A good place for fresh graduates keen to join the banking industry. Staff benefits are pretty competitive compared to market with 23 days annual leave starting this year.
Truth Story:
-1-2 mth class training with salary paid (learning process)
-Roles play, practical, validation & test after class training
-Tough life start below:

-On floor (Roadshow & Branch ATM tagging. working hours: i) roadshow: 11am - 6pm or sometime even late, until 8pm or Mall close. ii) Atm tagging: Branch operation hours, until 9.30am - 4.30pm (stand whole day), after that, required back Toa Payoh do cold-calling until 9pm (1 week: 2-3 days) *Long working hours

-No off day on weekend allowed, mostly on weekday. *If no sales, (depend team leader), sometimes no offday for week, bcoz leader show face, unless you are thick face & dont care your leader

-Weekend mostly Roadshow/ stand ATM machine get customers

-Selling: ONLY saving endownment plans & insurance protection plans given to sell

-Target: count by RPoint: (please understand bank term in calculation for insurance by yourself). Average you need sell 15 policy++ for 3 months.

-Happy or not need depend who is your leader guide you. Some leader will proper guide you, but some worst, only know chasing monthly target, and don't know how to teach/guide, only keep on pushing with Harsh way.

-Don't expect you will have proper office (unless calling in HQ), otherwise mostly is travel whole Singapore for bank branches/ roadshow at diff Mall

-Some leader only know talk big but don't know how to sell, their past experience don't really help you in fast-paced environment. Their Top selling insurance plans last time might be no longer exists today anymore.

-Be prepared on multiple paperworks and procedure to do
 - more...
Pros
If you are fighter, overcome the obstacles
Cons
If you think this job is easy, better ask first, job roles as above.
For people who is willing to work long hours with rewarding salary, UOB is the place to try as their sales acquisition side is fairly rewarding if you hit their target monthly
Pros
Aws
Cons
Toxic working enviornment. Not where you want to be if you want to learn and grow. Most people managers there are not suitable to be managers in the first place.

A company stuck in ancient times with a Small, Medium Size company mindset.

Severely lacks intellectual capital in the company. Most staff in the company are only interested in their own interests and paycheck rather than doing what is right.

Plenty of back-stabbing politicking and boot-licking

No flexibility in working hours

No collaborative tools or spaces (Need to have private discussions in corridors!)

Ancient office infrastructure (analog phone)and technology. What is pantry space ?
Benefits
Cons
bureaucratic, toxic colleagues, lacks technology
Most likely to continue with contract renewal
Some benefits applicable to contract employees
Efficient onboarding procedure
Secured network but hassle-free access
I am very much happy with learning curves in UOB but at the same time it will be having more work load for a short period of time .
As we are contract employees from different clients we don't have enough rights to standardise the things.
This is my first employer in Singapore but UOB made it easier for me to adopt by providing a suitable and comfortable workplace and a good support system. However, during my time here, there are also no clear KPI.
Pros
Good compensation package
Cons
No clear KPI
Working at a local bank is pretty straightforward regardless of position/department/function. There is a tacit understanding of job stability but with a trade-off of lower renumeration relative to industry peers in other companies.
Pros
Job stability
Cons
Poor compensation and benefits
As a major bank in Singapore, most of the things that can be said has been said. They have great benefits, many career path and work environment.

Due to how big the institution is, there is no telling how great your immediate work environment is, it can be really good or really frustrating due to colleagues or supervisor.

People say that employees rarely leave jobs but they leave managers, I think truth can be said about myself when my department had a change of manager.
The management in UOB was really family based and everyone was there for one another. The team were really there to help you be better. The environment was just a fun loving team all around.
Pros
Amazing view from the office
Cons
Salary was low
Just not the retail service sector where hours are getting long and loaded with long list of targets from personal to corporate. Good Benefits for health, hospital.
Cons
Really long hours
Nice colleague,although everyday work till 7- 8pm, but i learn a lot from here, i have a brunch of nice colleague here to teach me,help me while i face any problem
Pros
can claim my air ticket and accomodation
Cons
Long hours, not enough lunch time
- Flexible job & working hours if you are able to meet your target.
- Good benefit with different kind of event held every year.
- Training and coaching provided to ensure staffs' capability.
Working in UOB is generally great. Their employee benefits are reasonably good.

However, career progression in my current job is close to impossible. Furthermore ,the working hours are long (from as early as 0730 to as late as 2100). Because of this, I hardly have any work-life balance. Both career progression and working hours are probably the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great and understanding colleagues
Cons
Long hours, little or close to no work life balance, no career progression
I worked in the Call Center. Compensation and benefits are good. You get paid vacation leaves immediately. Not much advancement. I learned a lot. It is extremely fast-paced.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Limited advancement
Work involves promoting UOB insurance products only to UOB customers. Learnt alot about banking related matters and its more like a family. Management identifies and recognise individual potential. Most challenging in this job is rejection and handling customers' various objections in buying the product. Most enjoyable is when a satisfied customer gives his compliments. At the end of the day you feel proud that you have done job well
Pros
Annual leaves and medical benefits
Cons
Need to do overtime occassionally
Overtime work is very common, very often and unpaid. No food allowance, only taxi reimbursement. Job security is good as they retain even contract staff as long as service is required even through a recession.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Unpaid overtime work
Big and strong company. Asian kind of management, culture is ok, most staffs are Asian from different countries. lots of benefits, from medical and entertainment.
Pros
recognition
Cons
I love the people that I work with because they help me get my job done no matter how hard some things are and no matter how long it takes. Things were really hard for me at first considering that I am the only who cannot speak Mandarin in the bank but everyone has been really supportive and helpful.
Pros
Free food, company events
Cons
Nice place to learn and grow as they focus on training and grooming their staffs will required skills and knowledge. Good and productive working environment and very good people to work with. They believe in the organization core vales and work hard in achieving the bank's mission.
Pros
Benefits - Lifestyle, Medical
Cons
Na
A typical day at work is, you start at 9am and on the average leave at 8-9pm. From technical perspective you'll learn a lot because they have in dept knowledge of mainframe technology. But on the other hand, they don't make use of new technologies to improve their system.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Extended work hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at United Overseas Bank. Our community is ready to answer.
United Overseas Bank Reviews by Location