United World College of South East Asia logo
United World College of South East Asia

United World College of South East Asia Employee Reviews

Work-Life Balance

Dynamic and Fun workplace

My colleagues were very helpful and outgoing, they are always willing to help me and guide me through. My manager was very inspiring and caring. The workplace culture was very fun and nurturing.

Productive and Fun Work Place

Great place to work at! Very diverse and inclusive environment. Great work life balance. Culture is absolutely amazing. Management is great too. Only down side is that it has very slow progression for administrative staff.

Work lift

Easy to mingle with all staff They taught me every details about the work Learnt how to use MAC laptop and software. Also how to use google.com They did not trick me as a temp staff but as one of the team mate. I felt welcome to the department.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

UWCSEA Dover - Toxic Junior School Management

While many colleagues are wonderful committed people, and the students, like kids the world over, are regularly amazing and great to teach, the prevailing management style in the Junior School can be one of intimidation and disenfranchisement of staff. If your voice is raised in a way that is viewed as contrary to the Junior School management, you risk being ostracised and ultimately eliminated. The resulting cliques throughout the Junior School staff are exclusive and guarded as people shore up their territory. The absence of open dialogue is shocking and stunts personal and professional growth. Employment and subsequent promotion are frequently unilateral decisions by the Junior School Management, resulting in comments such as this one to me, "If X is going for that position, there is no point in the rest of us even thinking about it.". I know of at least four recent Primary School appointments that weren't even advertised internally, let alone in the public domain. This carefully cultivated indebtedness is a powerfully successful tool in maintaining a status quo which favours the sycophant and his narcissistic manager. When a person is permitted to wield power in this way, with impunity, thanks to ineffective senior management, no salary will compensate you adequately to work in such a stressful environment.

Pros

Meeting some amazing, enthusiastic people.

Cons

Bullying by management.

Productive and great workplace

Working hours is good. Great colleagues but occasionally the work load can be overwhelming. Bosses are knowledgeable. As it has been 10 years, I feel that I am in need for the search of a new work environment.

Pros

Good pay, work advancement.

Cons

Overwhelming workload

Professionally satisfying establishment where teachers are well-supported with professional development opportunities.

The College is a most demanding place to work and it is hard to develop a healthy work/life balance, but at the same time, working there is professionally satisfying and teachers are well-supported with professional development opportunities of very high calibre. Decisions are based upon excellent educational practice, rather than on budgetary constraints and facilities for both staff and students are excellent. Staff are expected to be active in all areas of college life and are encouraged to pursue individual interests in their personal lives. Remuneration packages are very good, and they need to be, as the cost of living in Singapore is significantly high. Colleagues are all dedicated practitioners of considerable skill and enthusiasm. My time at the College has been a wonderful experience. My passion for teaching has been nurtured and I have developed my skills to high levels.I have felt appreciated and respected as an educator. This is of paramount importance to me. The only reason that I am looking to move on is that the College presently operates a strict retirement age policy and I feel that, with my skills, experience and passion for teaching, I have much to offer, especially within an international setting.

Pros

Professional courtesy, high standards of professional development, good remuneration package, excellent working relationships

Cons

Mandatory retirement age

Jobs at United World College of South East Asia