Upwork

Upwork Employee Reviews

Singapore34 reviews
I have been a freelancer for 9 years. Started as Elance but was acquired by Upwork. Really enjoy the flexibility that allows me to take on new projects, meet new customers, and be creative with my work! The ability to record my hours is easy and I continue to enjoy my job as a part-time freelancer!
Pros
Flexibility, ability to work remotely anywhere, continuous new projects
Cons
Let's face it. You're pretty much on your own on Upwork. You find your jobs, you apply for them, you write your own quotes and bills, you do all the work and you face the fury alone when a client is not happy with your work, or billing method or just the way you explain something. I've worked on Upwork for 5+ years. I've found a lot of really fun jobs and built up a good reputation, but it's time consuming and at the end of the day and after Upwork fees you're really not left with much. I mean, it takes a decent amount of time to browse through jobs, send out applications (for which you have to pay unless you're invited by the client) and doing interviews. You compete with dozens of freelancers from low-cost countries, so you can't charge the fee you normally would and Upwork takes 20% of the first $500 you make and 10% of everything after that. When I first started, freelancers got 30 free applications per month and only paid a 10% fee, so it was actually possible for new members to build up a customer base without going broke, but that's no longer the case. Additionally, Upwork now determines, whether you're a good fit for the job or not and if they think you're not for whatever reason, your application will be hidden from the client, whether you paid for being able to send it or not. What's up with that? They have a rating system nobody understands or is willing to explain. Your rating goes up and down and you have no idea why and therefore there's nothing you can do to influence it. The lower your rating is, the less likely you will be hired, so it would be helpful to know - more...
Pros
Access to a lot of jobs, flexibility, well organized
Cons
High fees, lots of competitors that are willing to work for next to nothing, no protection in case of a fixed-price dispute
Besides upwork taking a compensations it is a great way to make a quick buck. It is easy to sign up for and there are endless opportunities for work. You can choose which jobs you want to apply for. The only bad part is the fact you only have so many chances to apply, but not if you pay.
Pros
Flexibility, work from home, build skills
Cons
Upwork takes a percentage, customers often do not pay fairly. Feel rushed most of the time
Basically, I find it interesting working on a platform like Upwork.
I learnt many skills in my carrier (front-end web development).

I liked the way they track my hourly work, also the escrow system they provide for milestone works.

Generally, It's secure platform and I recommend it very much.
Upwork is the place I got side income when I am still in university. Actually I got job not only on Upwork, there are direct message to me without Upwork
if you are looking for a freelancer work upwork will be the best place to find one. you get paid for per hour work and it is certainly very easy to work on
It is a good way to keep your writing skills sharp. Especially if your core job requires technical writing and/or writing of documents and procedures.
Sometimes it is easy to get a client but sometimes it gets really competitive. Be sure that your profile is up to date. Daily check for the new projects
Upwork helped me alot, specially my salary. It really challenge me during my time in upwork. My boss and my co worker really helped me. I have a good time in upwork.
* Lots of companies mostly startups to choose from
* Easy salary / payouts direct to the bank

* Need to pay now for applications

* Tracking app helpful for transparency
Best option for those who do not want to attend the office every time, and work remotely from home. Upwork is a flexilble freelance website, when so many professionals can earn money by providing services for employers.
Working at home means no need to travel, get up really early or even buy food at the canteen or pantry. Working at home means you get to spend less since you can save on gas or travel expenses. Other than that, you can almost work anywhere as long as you have wifi connection.
If you want to make a few bucks on the side this is a great option. If you want to make a career out of it forget it. .Most clients want far more work than they are willing to pay for.
It was fun and interesting at the beginning but there aren't a lot of opportunities for growth. I liked working there but at the same time, I was hungry for growth. Upwork didn't offer me that so I left.
Working at Upwork gives you the opportunity to be more productive and be independent. Also, offers more satisfying salary rates than a traditional office day job.
Pros
work from home
Cons
too much freelancers aiming for a single job
It was fine, but low pay. Just file as many items as you can. Work hard and hustle. But understand this may not be for you whether you have worked in the field or not. It is VERY TOUGH GO.
Pros
Free time
Cons
Pay
I think workplace shouldn't be something you are compelled to go to. It should rather become your hobby. It should have an open environment. And employees should be cared about and given a few incentives at least.
Pros
Free lunches, transportation allowance, bonuses
Cons
Short-breaks, Tiring work environment
You can do your job wherever (you want as long as you have good internet connection)...you can even sit in a beach chair with a cocktail in hand for all I care...as long as you get our desired results and internet connection.
Pros
more time with family, save gas, avoid traffic etc
Cons
less supervision
I have been on Upwork since February 2018 and been working on a project for a client.

I have finally hit the payment threshold and can withdraw my funds. Unfortunately, I have tried 3 times to withdraw and all unsuccessful.

I did receive an email telling me what to do - apparently my bank swift code was incorrect but I checked with my bank and they confirmed I used the correct swift code. So when I replied to the email, I received the standard autoresponder about not being able to approve my application to be on Upwork etc.

After trying 3 times to retrieve my funds, I decided to change my bank altogether (luckily I had another bank account I could use).

So far, I've been told via the HELP site that it takes 4 days for the transfer to be successful. It is now 6 working days and I have not seen the funds in my bank account.

As a result of this fiasco, I have decided not to bill on Upwork as I am not sure if I will ever see my funds. Consequently, my profile has been switched from 'Public' to 'Private'. It has not been possible to speak to anyone in customer service except via the HELP submission form. And to be honest, I have not received any solution or response except the standard autoresponder.

I am very disappointed and as you can tell, at my wits end to having some proper form of communication from customer support. Hence this mode of communication.
Pros
Possibility of finding freelance work
Cons
No payment received
Upwork is a decent place to work from home and be able to be your own boss. I personally only did it as a side business but you can totally be able to make a living off of it.
It's a non-stress environment because you are working on the comforts of your own home. Working hours is not that hard also because most of the clients are from Australia.