Veolia

Laboratory Technician15 reviews

Clear
3.4Salary & Benefits

Found 7 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,577 reviews

Fast paced heavy work loads

A lot of my fellow employees are very sub par workers, but management does not appreciate a hard working employee. The pay is only average, but you will work a lot harder than neighboring plants. Not much room for advancement

Pros

Take breaks when you’d like

Cons

401 k matching

Great group of people to work with, great pay and benefits, encouraging atmosphere

I enjoyed my time working as a Wastewater Lab Tech and appreciated the support of coworkers and management alike. For the most part, our team got along very well and we had exceptional management. It was the best job I've ever had and was sad to leave because of personal issues.

Pros

Great pay and benefits

Cons

Not being able to talk to HR in person

Laboratory technician

They overwork you till you are burnt out even when short staffed. They do not appreciate hard work they just expect it. There is no room for promotion

Benefits

Benefits were amazing but the pay was lackluster if you weren't in a higher up position. The work was sometimes fun and other times it was terrible. The people in the R & D building are generally pretty cool. The people in the business/corporate building are a bit rigid and annoying at times

Pros

Hour lunch plus 2 breaks good benefits relatively friendly people

Cons

Drama/gossip unknown hazards to certain jobs cause potential problems

Long hours, high stress, high turnover, avoid this job.

The laboratory at Veolia is a revolving door department - they can't keep people there. Hours are long, the work is thankless, even with doing overtime every week for months the staffing is not adequate for the workload. People get tired of it and quickly move on to other positions. With poor training, unrealistic expectations from management, no real coordination between departments, the stress level gets very high. A typical day is clock in, already behind, do triage for 10 hours, and still you're behind. And even after a 50, 55 hour week, people will be on top of you for things not being done. Employees badmouthing other employees, supervisors and managers badmouthing their direct reports, managers badmouthing other managers, the environment is toxic and morale is low. Don't take my word for it. 1) At the interview, be sure to ask how many lab technicians have cycled through the department in the last couple of years. Normal staffing in department is 3-4 people; at least five people have left, it's probably more at this point. 2) Ask how long current technicians have been in the position. 3) Ask why they think the turnover is so high, and what kind of plan they have to address it. 4) They'll probably give you a tour of the lab and the lab offices. It's a mess. Ask yourself if the work environment really looks like people are on top of things. I took this job for a 30% raise over a previous position. I took a 20% pay cut to get out and I'm better off for it. You don't want this position - save your mental health and work for an employer who will treat -

Toxic workplace, avoid.

Long hours, confusion and chaos, checked out/clueless managers, negative culture have lead the laboratory to become a revolving door department. If you interview, make sure to ask them about their turnover rate, why they think it's so high, and what they plan to do to address it. During the interview they'll offer you a tour - see what a mess the lab and the lab offices are - ask yourself if this seems like a company on top of things. I accepted this position when they offered a 30% raise over my previous position, left less than a year later after the other two members of the department quit (they made it six and ten months, respectively). Accepted a position that paid 19% lower than Veolia and I'm much better off for it. Trust me, you do not want this job.

Unproductive, unorganized, micromanaged

Laboratory management has a bad habit of micromanaging employees, and showing favoritism to other employees. Provides very little opportunity of upward movement to employees especially when they hire people with a bachelor of science for the laboratory. Starting salary is non-competitive especially in today's job market. Laboratory management has a bad habit of rushing their employees to meet business demand and not enforcing safety. Did not appreciate the passive aggressiveness from senior employees. There was a lot of gossip going around from some senior employees who bad-mouthed their coworkers. Overall did not appreciate the unprofessionalism of senior employees and laboratory management. Senior employees and management also belittled newer employees as if they expect them to work better because of it. They also don't practice a team player mentality when other workers are absent. Senior employees pile on the work onto newer employees and think they have a right to do so because they are "above" them. Overall, a toxic work environment.