Williams-Sonoma, Inc.

Williams-Sonoma, Inc. Employee Reviews

WSI is an US global company with a very conservative and dated working culture and management style. The most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to work with nice, collaborative and talented individuals across the levels.
Pros
Nice people, committed team
Cons
Poor management, incompetent leaders
I was training for this company for 2 weeks then they let me go. You are supposed to meet 100% and I was at 80 because I take my time and go through the material to make sure I understand they let me go because of that. They also make you train on your own no assistance rude supervisors and just not helpful at all.
Let me first start off by explaining the 3-week training. There is no training. You are required to complete modules on the website. The class is conducted in Adobe and you can only communicate through chat. There are so many people that you have to ask your question 2 or 3 times. If there is more than a few people with the same question they put you into another room and you have to wait until it's your turn so you can share your screen to get help. Remember you're being rushed through the modules so now you're behind even more because you've had to wait to get help. Once you have completed your modules they literally throw you on the phone and tell you to start accepting calls. No help. No one to ask except a carebot you use to ask it questions. They need to make sure we understand how things work before tossing us out like that. I wanted to like it and honestly, if the training wasn't so poor I could see myself being good at it but the culture is hurry, faster, and metrics. This is NOT how you develop talent. $12 an hour isn't worth any of this.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Training
Working with very seasoned professionals (20+ years exp), but certainly not the busiest office I've been in. Because the Singapore office is not the HQ, many parts of the job is dependent on higher corporate or business strategies.
No assistance from supervisors, complete inability to assist customers due to the fact that so many issues are completely out of our hands and the supervisors.
The top management in Singapore office is pressured until no limit by the US team and the pressure is passed on to the team.working hours for most of the staff is 12 hrs. Everyday is a overtime day
Graveyards sound louder than the work place. Silo-ed and blame culture among staff with the lowest rung bearing the brunt. Very poor managers manging the department.
Williams-Sonoma is a wonderful company to work for even though it did not work out for me. iIt can for someone else, the work is not bad, and easy to learn.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
Everyday you will learn new things Bosses are nice to work with and open door policy the hardest part is getting issue resolved. fun when there is a team building.
Pros
Own time as long you are doing your job properly.
Cons
Salary is still lower than the market
Laidback environment. Job responsibilities are not delegated equally among team members, which may cause work politics. I would say this company is good for those who have just graduated and looking for experience but not for long-term.
When you train, you are asked things beyond your knowledge. I was surprise to get a job offer. I had made other plans and I did not get my desired schedule. You have to work every minute on the hour. You have to be on the call with a customer. Who does that in retail establishmeht offering customer service. How is it humanly impossible. It is difficult to take a rest room break, strength, or relax. They fight you for hostile customers. They have inventory issues and computer software issues. They have no direct escalation to a supervisor and you are referred to a lead. If you are underemployed it is a night mare and they do not use stellar calls for you to grow but they hold it against you. They never apologize for customer abuse they say that your approach caused the abuse and then the acknowledge that it was an issue resolved but act as if you can escalate. They never call customers back in a timely fashion. It is an information job. I found my self testing the system to develop a confidence in talking with customers. You learn on the go and others act as if it was not that way. You cannot always verify things. You offer people money to appease them. If you do not, it could affect your budget
Pros
you work from home/you can purchase grouped benefits
Cons
low pay
Typical day at work learnt how to build dashboards & work with the in-house IT team. charity events & team bonding events work culture is normal nice management most enjoyable part was participating in events held.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Great if you like to work from home. You are tied to your phone for your entire shift with two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch. The customers are very needy and only want you to give them a discount. You must have excellent customer service skills because you have stat readings everyday. You are threatened with losing your hours if you do not perform well. Most of the supervisors are not very helpful as they have never taken calls and only want you to do well for their bonuses. The pay is horrible. The best part of the job is that you are at home in your pj's. A lot of favoritism and no room for advancement at all. This company is losing sales because of backorders and cancellation policies.
Pros
Nice Holiday Meeting
Cons
tied to phone, no advancement, favoritism
Williams- Sonoma is a excellent place to work . Good atmosphere, lot of fun and learning.