WuXi AppTec

WuXi AppTec Employee Reviews

Understaffed, overworked, no time to feel successful

This job is pretty straightforward and not a bad job on the surface, the tasks themselves are laborious but not difficult. However, the severe understaffing problem leaves you doing 2-4x the amount of tasks that are reasonable for one person to complete. Rarely to Never do people get out at the scheduled time, when the job was pitched in the interview, management made it seem as if a half an hour late, once in a while, was to be expected--not multiple ten hour days every single week. Employees who are doing the job well and thoroughly, are left to pick up after, and keep track of employees who are cutting corners and putting animal welfare at risk. When management is confronted about these employees, they are hesitant to confront them so they don't "scare off" staff--leaving hard working staff to continue to pick up the slack. As a "reward" for being a diligent employee who cares deeply about animal welfare, you are stuck with extra work that you are expected to complete in the same amount of time as those with less than you. This company boasts profits quarterly to you via email, gushes about how important your role is--but can find no room for a raise or accountability for those who are not completing the role to standards.

Pros

Free donuts once a month

Cons

Short staffed, mediocre benefits, inattentive/absent management, unrealistic expectations

Review

The company is a decent place to work if you're new to the industry and want to gain some experience. The place is getting better at ensuring a work life balance, but compensation is below market. There's an opportunity to make enough to pay the bills, but I doubt you'll ever be "well off" when compared to peers in the industry.

Pros

work life balance. Good place to learn the industry and get your foot in the door

Cons

Everyone thinks they deserve to be paid more, but it's a fact that the company pays below market. High employee turnover as a result.

Micromanagement, lack of work/life balance, "tattletale" culture

I was employed right out of college as a research associate, so I wasn't expecting an extremely high salary or multiple weeks of PTO. The workplace culture didn't feel very cohesive. Tattletale culture is huge and people are quick to blame others for mistakes. Micromanagement was rampant and work/life balance was not great either. The workplace felt toxic and we were always being watched.

I am a contract Senior CRA.

Project managers are supportive, but is a global CRO (chinese owned) who is out of touch with issues when they hire new (experienced) CRAs. CRAs come and go and poor hires have me re-doing their work. At this point, they are elimanting contractors which includes me (doesn't matter that I got reconized for my great work and I am the the only CRA who did not leave my projects or was fired.

Ok place

First off it takes only 4-7 days for background it took 2 almost 3weeks for my background to come back. Secondly they give you unnecessary on boarding paperwork for you to read(176) things For you to do, plus videos and test. And they expect you to get 10 to 15 a day but everybody doesn’t read the same. They don’t treat you like you’re part of the team or company at all.

Pros

Nice clean building

Cons

Management, gossiping coworkers, Hr, fake people and they don’t care about you.

Good starting job, low pay

Management was horrible and compensation is also terrible. You are expected to do mandatory over time when business picks up. There is lots of turn over in all areas of the lab and it seems very unorganized.

Great place to work.

Great benefits and decent pay. Great training and good opportunities for advancement if you are a hard worker. Everyone I worked with was nice and would help you in any way they could. Sometimes the workload could be stressful, but not overwhelming in my opinion.

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, nice work environment, good managers.

Cons

Workload was sometimes stressful.

Avoid this place

The management is horrible. The manager does not care about you as a person at all.Disgusting office politics. Low pay. The most useful thing I learned from this company as a new graduate is how bad a company could be.

Much like prison, just serve your time and get out.

A chaotic nightmare, the job description is worthless, you have no clue what you're getting yourself into. While working here I did everything from technical review, job applicant interviews, QA, team scheduling, assay troubleshooting, project management, document reconciliation, emotional counseling, the list goes on but just writing this out is triggering an anxiety attack.Technicians, Scientists, QA, and Receiving are your friends and teammates. Management are only there to collect a paycheck and drive people away, and COVID demonstrated this beautifully when management were allowed to "work" from home, leaving the rest of us to schedule and cross train and manage our teams ourselves, resulting in the most profitable month ever."How often do you see employees crying in the parking lot?" This is a question I have to ask during interviews now. Technicians are the most important part of the company(They do all the real work), yet they're compensated poorly and treated worse, and because of this you'll never have even a remotely fully staffed and trained team, so if you're a scientist here, be ready for perpetually missed dates, updating those dates to new dates that you'll also be forced to miss(But you still must set them!), and essentially doing customer service for several hours a day. You'll also be repeating that customer service routine with management, because they're just as out of the loop as the client, so you'll be getting flak from internal and external sources.At the end of the day, YOUR name is going on these reports. This makes YOU responsible for them. -

Great company for entry level laboratory testing experience.

Overall view of the company, upper management could be more understanding and rationale with employees. Many employees want to win and strive but, with the lack of training and poor processes to ensure great performance many will take what they can and move on to other opportunities. Improve the onboard training for new hires and I’m sure the retention at Wuxi would improve for some departments.

Messy management

Communication problems within management. Overworked, constantly adding new responsibilities with no change in compensation. Very draining environment.

Over worked and under paid

Be prepared to overtime every work, upwards of 30+ hours a shift. You'll learn a lot depending on where you are but they'll work you to the bone.

Pros

You'll learn a lot

Cons

Too much

Meet new people and learn a lot at a fast pace.

You may learn a lot, especially if this is your first "real" job, but it comes at a sacrifice. Frequently have unexpected long days, training for the manufacturing department is poor and does not fully prepare one to enter into the manufacturing department, and the management staff is weak and barely listens to employees' comments. It seems as if absolutely no one knows what is going on. So many changes need to be made and it seems as if nobody cares.

Pros

Learn a lot about GMP.

Cons

low pay, long hours, barely have time to eat or drink water some days.

I learned a lot

Fast paced environment with lots of growth. Some growing pains but overall enjoyable. Can have high turnover though especially in the entry level positions so working with other departments can be tricky.

Absolutely terrible

Run for the hills. Management is awful and despite numerous complaints to HR no changes have been made for years. Would rather take a dramatic pay cut than work here any longer.

High Turnover. Absolute Soul Suck

Being one of my first jobs out of college, it really made me question if I wanted to be involved in science at all. The place is absolutely demoralizing. Training is pretty awful and it lacks any clear direction. The first couple of weeks just consist of sitting in front of a computer and reading SOP's that have nothing to do with your job. Supervisors are no help. Many of your peers are pretty cool but don't expect to build a lasting relationship as the turnover rate is very high. And if you come through a staffing agency, they will tell you that you'll be promoted to a direct employee after four months. There's very little truth to that. If this is your first job in science, I suggest you hold out and find something better.

Pros

Decent parking and lunchroom. Nice area to walk when you take a break

Cons

Management, training, no room to learn, grow, or develop

Cool environment. Horrible leadership

Clean building. Most of the employees are cool and respectful. Lot of pointless meetings, walking around the actual problems. Pay is average and leadership is lacking

Benefits

Cons

Pay

Would not recommend

Terrible pay for the amount of work done. High turnover rates people literally leave every month. Management is iffy can be helpful @ times and overbearing bullies @ other times.

Depends on the department

It seems like a lot of bad reviews are from specific departments. My particular department has excellent scientists and we have a supportive manager who’s new but she’s great so far. This is not meant to diminish others’ poor experiences in their departments, so I’ll just speak from my own experience. Overall, it was rough starting out as a contract lab technician due to the abysmal pay from that company. However, through the amazing guidance from my scientists and managers, I was able to move up after about 1 year with the company (I started right out of college). Most of the reviews are correct in that this is a “stepping stone” job. However, your experience will really depend on the leadership in your department.

Pros

Good out of college, training, nice campus

Cons

Health insurance is just okay

Worst Employer

This absolutely the worst company to work for. They do not care for their employees. they over work you, poor pay, and horrible management. No extra pay for overtime, which there will always be overtime.

Cons

heathcare, underpaid, over-worked

Very decent

Was expecting a nightmare of a job based on other Glassdoor reviews, but once I started working, it was very decent, professional, reasonable, and I learned a ton every day. This was the one job I put zero effort into and ended up getting the offer. Glad I gave it a chance. Very rewarding in the end and they always have positions open so the job security is decent too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WuXi AppTec. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• WuXi AppTec